Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Top 10 Things NEVER to Say to a Person Who Is Visually Impaired

Living everyday life as a visually impaired individual has its challenges at home and in the general public.  Things are hard enough indoors at home, depending on your own situation (living solo, with a spouse, roommates, family, etc.)... in your own space you are pretty familiar with the space and settings within your dwelling place.  However, once you leave from the familiar environment of your domicile into the outside world, it can be pretty overwhelming.

Where I currently reside, I live in a large apartment complex where having been there for the last 4 years, I know where everything is before having eye sight issues. Now that I've been determined to be legally blind by my ophthalmologist, I can no longer drive myself anywhere.  Although I do have a certain amount of sight, my peripheral vision is off, making it really difficult to drive - my one source of independence.  Thankfully I an able to walk a block to the grocery store, although being the particular person that I am, it is not Trade Joe's, Sprouts of Whole Foods when I lived in the city- there I am reasonable walking distance fro these stores where they carry mostly organic items (don't worry, I'm getting to the point of the subject in a few).

While at the grocery store, I have my list of healthy items and money burning in my wallet armed to shop.  Of course depending on the season, some feature items have been moved to the front of the store, thus having to move nearly everything else.  Mind you after my eye surgeries - 6 of them to be exact - a sistah's gotta eat! So I'm doing my shopping business; I've always been a label reader to make sure I'm getting the right thing without getting ripped -off, which I've done on some occasions.

Now when I shop, I must be present in the moment, have 100% focus on what I am purchasing and to not be disturbed.  Yes, I get that there are many other people doing their shopping too, but when your sight has been compromised, you need all the time you need to do so.  So when someone says "Excuse me", I do my best to be polite, even though my focus has been disturbed.  Now I'm really getting a little irritable - wanting to shop with the ease and confidence I once knew before my vision changed.

Checkout time:  I think some of the cashiers that know me can sense I have a hard time seeing (why I spend nearly 2 hours shopping), but they are patient with me.  So after I'm all done with the transaction, I get out my smartphone to summons my Lyft ride.  I'm near the exit when a man notices I have my magnifier to better view my phone.  He asked "Do you need any help Ma'am?"
First of all, I'm not that old, and second you don't know me and I don't know you so keep on steppin'.  He was nice about everything, but in this day and age where you may look at someone funny and there's problems.

Here are the top 10 things never to say to a person who is visually impaired:

1.  Iam so sorry this happened to you.

2.  Why are you using that (magnifying glass)?

3.  Just put on a pair of glasses.

4.  Here... let me help you with that.

5.  I know someone who is blind... want to meet them?

6.  Can you use a computer/cell phone/tablet?

7.  This is all a part of God's plan. (So patronizing!)

8. This  must have happened to you for a reason.

9.  You don't look like you're blind... where's your white cane or your seeing eye dog?

10.  How do you function like read books and labels, get around town, get around town?


No comments:

Post a Comment